D&D / d20 > Golarion

Goblins have taken over Paizo

<< < (29/29)

Wormys_Queue:
Eher zu vergesslich als zu bescheiden, aber dennoch vielen Dank für den Hinweis. Ich hab den Thread auch in der leisen Hoffnung eröffnet, damit das leidige "Paizo vs. 4E"-Thema zu beenden. Eigentlich seh ich es nämlich wie Keith Baker: Es ist Platz für beides.

Wormys_Queue:
Weil ich im vorhergehenden Post von Keith Baker sprach; der hat in seinem Blog ein paar, wie ich finde, sehr versöhnliche Worte zur Entscheidung Paizos gesagt:

--- Zitat ---I've got more to say on the subject of 4E and Eberron, but I wanted to take a brief time-out to talk about the recent Paizo news and also to give props to certain things I've been using as, well, props.

First, Paizo. If any of you aren't familiar with the name, Paizo Publishing (online at Paizo.com) was the custodian of Dungeon and Dragon magazines until 2007; they're also known for their line of Gamemastery products. When WotC reclaimed Dungeon and Dragon, Paizo created Pathfinder, a D&D campaign setting to support an ongoing series of adventure paths.

This week, Paizo announced the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, which will serve as the anchor for future Paizo adventure paths and products. The system is based on the systems of the 3.5 SRD and emphasizes backward compatibility with 3.5 products as an important feature, "so players will continue to enjoy their lifelong fantasy gaming hobby without invalidating their entire game library."

I have mixed feelings about this. Overall, I think it's a great thing. As I've said all along, I know there are people who will prefer 3E to 4E. As someone who has shelves full of 3E books, I can certainly appreciate the sheer financial desire to continue to get some use from them (Although looking to Eberron, you should at least be able to use 3E fluff in a 4E game). I've always been impressed with the quality of Paizo's work, and I've written for them on occasion. The Dungeon adventure paths provide sweeping storylines and weeks of solid entertainment, and the Pathfinder setting itself has a great level of depth, imagination, and classic fantasy flavor (nearly winning ENWorld's recent series of polls on the best 3.5 product). So I think it's great that a strong publisher will be providing ongoing support for the people who have come to love 3.5, and who don't want to pack that shelf of books away.

At the same time, I'm sad about it, precisely BECAUSE I have so much respect for the people at Paizo and the quality of their work. The fact of the matter is that I'm going to be playing 4E. I don't care that those shelves of books are suddenly going to be useless; I'm simply having more fun as a 4E DM than I have in years. Your mileage will vary, but me? I'm over that fence. And there's enough difference between the two systems that it's not going to be a trivial thing to convert one to the other. It'll be possible, sure - but just look at the stats posted from the DDXP and you'll see some of the differences. First-level PCs with 25 hit points? Kobolds with 30 hit points? Reflex is now a target number instead of a saving throw? And so on, and so on. You can certainly keep a STORY intact, but you'll need to restat monsters, items, and all that. So I'm sad because Paizo has done a great job with its adventure paths, and 4E could certainly use that level of adventure support. For all I know, Paizo may put out some sort of 4E conversions for its adventures; that would certainly be the best of both worlds. However, it wouldn't surprise me if their choice is simply to be the pillar of support for people who prefer the old to the new. I certainly understand the decision, and I'm glad that this support will be there for those who want it. But as a 4E convert, I'm sad to be drifting further apart. I've seen others post fears that this will tear the gaming community apart, or herald an lawless age of ten thousand systems, but I'm not really worried about that; I think there's space in the world for both 4E and continued support for 3E. Lots of people have invested a great deal of time and money in 3E, and some of them may not like 4E; it seems like a logical niche to pursue.
--- Ende Zitat ---

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[*] Vorherige Sete

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln